OUR HISTORY

Our History

HISTORY OF UNITED WAY
120 YEARS OLD


1887
 United Way was formed in Denver, Colorado.

1952-54
$76,245 was raised during the first Athens/Clarke County campaign.

1954
Athens/Clarke County Community Chest was incorporated February 24th. 
There were 8 agencies supported by the campaign: YMCA, YWCA, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cancer Society, Heart Association, Salvation Army, and the Defense Fund.

1980
July 21st, the name was changed to United Way of Northeast Georgia, 
Inc., adding 6 counties: Barrow, Jackson, Madison, Franklin, Oglethorpe, and Oconee.

1997
The United Way of Northeast Georgia supports 26 human 
service agencies in a seven-county area. There are 44 United Ways in Georgia, and 1,400 local United Ways in the United States.

1999
Campaign reached its goal of $1,700,000. A record $97,000 was awarded in one-time/Emergency Grants, and 26 agencies received $1,182,050 in funds.

2002
United Way of Northeast Georgia adds Stephens County. Purchased the new office and moved on August 1, 2002.

2003
The United Way of Northeast Georgia celebrated its 50th anniversary, announcing on January 29, 2002 that $2,008,000 was raised in the campaign.

2006
Women’s Leadership Circle continued to raise money for the United Way Endowment which totaled $91,970.

2007
United Way of Northeast Georgia added Morgan County.

2016
United Way of Northeast Georgia long-time President/CEO Rubielen Norris retired after over 30 years of service to the organization. She was succeeded by Matthew Purkey, of Dayton, Ohio. 

2016
United Way of Northeast Georgia merged with local non-profit Community Connection of Northeast Georgia and acquired the 2-1-1 program.

2016
United Way of Northeast Georgia Board of Directors voted and approved the transition to Community Impact.

Share by: