Group & individual volunteer opportunities
Are you a company, civic group or small group looking to support our neighbors in Northeast Georgia through a volunteer activity? Check out information about our donation drives and assembly packing opportunities here. For individuals – or groups – there are also ample opportunities to volunteer with our local nonprofits. Check out our GivePulse page for opportunities near you!
grant review panelist volunteer opportunity
United Way of Northeast Georgia is seeking volunteers for its Impact Review Panels for the 2022-23 grant cycle. These individuals leverage their insight and experience to review grant applications, perform virtual site visits, and make recommendations to the Community Impact Committee. There are three review panels corresponding to the Community Impact Focus Areas: Early Childhood Success, Workforce Development, and Basic Needs. Each group has 15 members with lived experience, interest and/or expertise in that area. Each volunteer will serve on only one of these committees at a time, and the commitment is only for one review cycle. Each volunteer will be trained in the review process and the software United Way of Northeast Georgia uses for application review. All trainings and review will be done virtually, and decision meetings will be hybrid in-person/virtual.
- Reside and/or work within the Northeast Georgia Region: Athens-Clarke, Banks, Barrow, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Hart, Jackson, Madison, Morgan, Oconee, and Oglethorpe counties
- Attend a one and a half hour grant review/e-Cimpact training session in person or virtually
- Commit to reviewing a maximum of 8 applications
- Perform 4-5 virtual site visits of considered applicants
- Attend a first round discussion meeting and a final decision meeting held hybrid in-person/virtual
- Adhere to United Way of Northeast Georgia’s Conflict of Interest Policy and maintain confidentiality
- Ensure recommendations are objective, fair, and impartial
Impact Review Panelists are asked to commit to15 hours from May-July. Training and reviews will be done virtually with the potential of some in-person discussions (TBD).
For those interested, please reach out to Mark Madison at email@example.com to learn more.
DAYS OF CARING
Volunteering has a variety of benefits for both those who volunteer and for the community. Each fall, United Way of Northeast Georgia hosts a community-wide volunteer day: Day of Caring. More than 500 businesses and community members spend a full day volunteering at one of our community partners to build ramps, clean-up gardens, paint classrooms, and more!
MLK, Jr. DAY of service
Every year, Athens and many other counties in our region organize a day of service in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. It is “a day on, not a day off” when volunteers donate their time to helping local nonprofits with projects like landscaping, painting, refurbishing office spaces and more.
We have two opportunities for volunteering on Jan. 17, 2022 and hope you’ll join us: